Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Baby Ewan

I'm a little late with this post, but I think I have a good reason.
Baby Ewan was born on Thursday Sept. 24th at 11:34 am.
He weighed in at 6 lbs 12 oz. 19 in long.
I had a scheduled induction just because I like to and my doctor said I could. I went in bright and early at 7:00 am and Kirk met me there shortly after. They started the pitocin at about 8:00 and we were off and running. Within the next 30 minutes the contractions were 3 minutes apart and gaining momentum. By about 10:00 I decided it was a good time to ask for the epidural since there were a few other women in labor and I knew I might have to wait for the Dr to see them first. At 10:30 I got my epidural. I waited not so patiently as the contractions were now very strong. Nothing. We finally got the Dr back to try again. I'm not sure he really believed me that it wasn't working. Dude, I think I would know if I was numb from the chest down!he tries it again. Still nothing, but this time what he's doing just sends shooting pain down my legs, At this point I am screaming in pain (I had just been talking to my mom, not an hour before, about how I didn't understand the women that screamed during labor, HAH!) The nurses so kindly ask him not to do a third epidural as the first two seemed to be so useful and they suggest a spinal. Sure, why not, I've already had 4 needles in my back. What's 2 more going to do? I would love to say that I had some relief, but....nope. I delivered him about 15 minutes later and I felt everything. The cord was wrapped around his neck really tightly so they cut it and passed him off to the RT. I got to hold him for about 30 seconds before he was taken to the nursery. They had to give him an IV to get some fluids in him. I'm told that he was a hard stick. He has little scabs and bruises all over his hands and wrists. His blood pressure was low and he had a heart mummer. I am getting all this by text from Kirk as I am restrained in my bed with now numb legs (that only lasted about 5-10 minutes). They finally brought him to the room almost 1 1/2 hour later. He was doing fine and he's the cutest thing ever (well, maybe one of the four cutest things ever) He's a great baby and everyone is so glad that he's finally here.

My super cute self portrait

I thought I was going to break the side off the bed!

Brand spankin' new

Everyone getting their turn poking the poor kid


The proud Papa

It took a couple days for Red to warm up to him. Now he won't leave him alone.

Big sister Cassia

Hunter has been so excited. He can't hold him enough!


Amy said...

so beautiful!

Denise said...

He is so cute. Congrats, I am glad he is doing well. Sorry you did not get an epidural, so frustrating!

Stacy said...

So glad everything turned out fine. He is super cute and I love all the hair! It is fun to hear the reactions of your other children.

Jessica G. said...

Look at all that fuzzy hair! So adorable! Hope you are doing well with the recovery. I'm gonna call you later in the week and maybe bring you dinner, okay?

Yankee Girl said...

His hair is awesome and I love his name.

Kathryn & James said...

Love Him! Sound like it was not so fun, but I'm sure he is worth it. :)

Kristi said...

He's just so darling! Congrats again!

Jen said...

Congratulations! You are one amazing woman! Good job! He is one super cute kid! Fits right in with the rest of your kids!